Sesame Encrusted Tuna with Asparagus & Salad
1 medium shallot
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup sesame oil
2 tbsp fresh horseradish
12-18 spears asparagus,
depending on size
1 oz caraway seeds
1 oz coriander seeds
1 oz sesame seeds
2 lbs ahi tuna
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large cucumbers
3 oz micro radish
1. Chop the shallot finely in a food processor. Slowly add vinegar, then add oil to thicken. Finish by shaving horseradish into processor (start with a tbsp and add more to taste). Set aside.
2. Boil 2 qts water in a large saucepan; add salt. Prepare an ice water bath. Place asparagus in boiling water 40 seconds to 1 minute, depending on size (don’t overcook). Transfer spears to ice bath, drain and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place seeds in skillet and roast until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove, cool and grind to powder. Cover all sides of tuna with powder, salt and pepper. Heat skillet until very hot, add vegetable oil and sear tuna for 30 seconds on all sides until golden. Cook medium-rare to medium; cut into medallions.
4. Cut cucumbers into strips with peeler; toss with radish and some dressing.
5. Place tuna and asparagus on plates, top with salad and drizzle with remaining dressing.
Serves 6. Analysis per serving: 636 calories, 38g protein, 51g fat (8g saturated), 2g fiber, 7g carbohydrate, 69 mg sodium (without added salt)
Reprinted with permission from Microgreens
by Eric Franks and Jasmine Richardson
(Gibbs Smith, www.gibbs-smith.com); photograph by Margaux Gibbons