Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup (75g) diced yellow onion
2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
6 cups (540g) sliced white button and cremini mushrooms
2 cups (480ml) vegetable broth
12 ounces (345g) firm silken tofu or firm regular tofu
3 tbsp wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
12 ounces (340g) gluten-free fettuccini or spaghetti
1/4 cup (12g) chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more to garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining oil. Add garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for about 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Put 1 cup (240ml) of the vegetable broth and the tofu in a blender and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Add about 1 cup (180g) of the mushroom mixture. Pulse a few times to break it up. You want a speckled, grainy consistency, not a puree.
3. Pour the blended tofu-mushroom mixture into the saucepan and stir in the tamari, thyme and pepper. Bring the mixture just to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
4. Increase the heat to high and add 1/2 cup (120ml) of the remaining broth. Bring the sauce just to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until reduced by half. Increase the heat to high again and add the remaining broth. Bring the sauce just to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes more, until creamy. Cover and keep warm.
5. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and add to the mushroom sauce. Add the parsley and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve family-style in a big bowl garnished with the chives and parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl: SuperEasy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks—100 GlutenFree, Vegan Recipes! by Tess Masters, copyright © 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc. (crownpublishing.com/imprint/ten-speed-press). Photo by Anson Smart © 2014