Live Garden Burger
2 cups sunflower seeds
3 carrots, cleaned and scraped
1 medium onion
¼ cup raisins
2 tbsp raw agave nectar
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
¼ bunch fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, dill or rosemary)
1 hot pepper
1. Put the S-blade in a food processor. Pour the sunflower seeds in the processor, secure the lid and grind them to a powder.
2. Remove the blade. Using a spatula, pour the powdered sunflower seeds into a bowl.
3. Put the S-blade back into the processor. Cut the carrots into small chunks, approximately 1” thick, and add them to the food processor; grind until puréed.
4. Slice the onion into small square pieces and add to the food processor. Add the raisins, agave nectar and olive oil.
5. Slice the lemons in half, juice them and pour the juice into the food processor.
6. Add the sea salt, fresh herbs and hot pepper. Blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute.
7. Stop blending, open the lid and use a spatula to scrape down the contents from the walls of the container to ensure that the pâté is evenly blended throughout. Secure the lid and blend for another 30 seconds.
8. Take off the lid and remove the blade. Using the spatula, add the pâté to the bowl with the sunflower seeds. Knead the pâté with both hands until it is thoroughly mixed.
Serves 4. Analysis per serving: 680 calories, 21g protein, 50g fat (5g saturated), 12.5g fiber, 50g carbohydrates, 507 mg sodium
Source: Raw Family Signature Dishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Essential Live-Food Recipes by Victoria Boutenko (North Atlantic Books, www.northatlanticbooks.com). Copyright © 2009 by Victoria Boutenko; reprinted by permission of publisher. Photo by Robert Petetit.