Pumpkin Pie With Gluten-Free Pie Dough
The following recipe is based on a pumpkin pie made by Chef Bill Yosses when he was Executive Pastry Chef at the White House. It was served at an Indian state dinner under the Obama administration. This recipe was provided exclusively to Energy Times.
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
2 tbsp millet flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup flaxseed flour
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the coconut oil, honey and salt. Add the garbanzo flour, and mix on slow speed. Add the other flours and mix until incorporated. Continue to mix until the dough becomes sticky.
2. Remove the dough from the mixer, and shape with your fingers into a pie shell, using your thumbs to push the dough against the sides of the dish. Refrigerate while making the filling.
1 small or sweet pumpkin
1 acorn squash
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp millet flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut the pumpkin and squash into quarters and roast for 35 minutes.
2. When the pumpkin and squash are roasted and soft, move from the oven and allow to cool. When cool, using a large kitchen spoon, scrape 2 cups of flesh from each and place in a blender.
3. Add soy milk, honey, spices and millet flour to the blender. Churn until smooth.
1. Remove pie shell from refrigerator; pour contents of blender into the shell.
2. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until set. You don’t want liquid when you shake the pie dish.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 hour on a countertop, then refrigerate for three hours or overnight. Serve with yogurt and berries.
Source: Chef Bill Yosses